Monday 21 November, 2011

Oats for Heart's Sake

Breakfast was never an elaborate affair in our home – lunch was the main meal of the day, followed by dinner. So it was literally ‘breaking your fast’ (since the previous night!) with some fuel to start running your body’s engine. It used to be, more often than not, some variation of bread – sandwich, toast, Indian bread (roti/paratha/poori) with some curry – nothing much to celebrate about.
Once I started living by myself, I continued this tradition my mother followed, with an occasional twist of instant noodles for a change J Bread was quick, convenient and filling, so I had no complaints. But then started my discovery phase – getting to know the various nutrition contents of the food I was consuming (and the ones I wasn’t!). And bread was one of my first revelations – it has over 70% carbohydrates (causing blood sugar levels to rise), is low in dietary fibre and can raise bad cholesterol (or LDL) causing heart problems!

And that is how Quaker Oats happened to me, and has stayed with me since. I learnt about the numerous benefits of this grain – it is high in fibre , helps in lowering blood cholesterol, and keeps your heart healthy. Now it is a part of my everyday diet.While Quaker oats is widely loved in its regular porridge form (by boiling the oats with milk, dry fruits and sugar), I give my own edge to this humble porridge…here’s how:
  • Instead of using sugar while cooking, I drizzle in honey, date syrup or even chocolate syrup after the porridge is off the stove.
  • Even though dry fruits are a staple (almonds, raisins, dates, cashews), I serve the porridge with fresh fruits (apple, banana, strawberry, kiwi fruit, mango, grapes, pomegranate seeds) depending on their availability.

I have also tried to recreate some regular breakfast recipes by adding a handful of Quaker oats in them, like the omelettes and pancakes. This breaks the monotony of porridge, yet I get the benefits of having oats in my breakfast to boost me for the day!

Oats Omelette
Ingredients: 2 eggs, ½ cup Quaker Oats, ½ tsp salt, a pinch of ground black pepper, chopped green chillies (to taste), chopped onion, small slice of ginger finely grated, chopped coriander leaves (optional), butter/oil
Method: Mix the eggs and oats, and whisk it for a few minutes. This softens the oats and allows air bubbles into the mix which makes the omelette fluffy. Then add the remaining ingredients and whisk again. Heat a pan and add butter/oil. Once heated, pour in the omelette batter and spread evenly in the pan. Allow it to cook for a couple of minutes, then turn the side and cook for another minute. Serve hot and enjoy the delicious, fluffy and nutritious oats omelette!


 
Oats and Banana Pancake
Ingredients: 2 eggs or 4 egg whites (using egg whites is a healthier option), 1/3 cup Quaker oats, 1/3 cup milk, ½ ripe banana (mashed), a pinch of cinnamon, honey, butter/oil.
Method: Soak the oats in the milk for 15-20 minutes to soften them. Then mix all the ingredients (including the oats and milk) and beat well. If the mixture becomes too runny (we need a slightly thick batter for the pancakes), add a teaspoon of all purpose flour (maida) to thicken it. Heat a pan and grease it with butter/oil. Pour in some of the batter to form a small round pancake. Cook it for a few minutes, then turn the side and cook for sometime. Serve with a drizzle of honey (though maple syrup is traditional, honey tastes just as good) and a pinch of cinnamon. Fresh fruits go well with pancakes, like banana, apple, strawberry (cut into 2 and dipped in powdered sugar for 5-10 minutes) or any seasonal fruit of your choice.
(I have also tried vanilla essence instead of cinnamon in the pancake batter, and I loved the refreshing aroma!).

Though breakfast still remains a hurried meal for me, I know I am eating good – one that will keep my heart healthy and give me a feeling of goodness to drive me through the day J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.