Friday 28 October, 2011

Sunshine On My Shoulders

As a child, I would spend most of my spare time by myself – either playing with my dolls in the verandah or roaming around in our huge garden. I loved to admire the variety of roses, dahlias, chrysanthemums and marigolds – their vibrant colours never failed to impress me. I would keep looking for lily buds which would bloom the next morning, and never quite understood why a single stick of tuberose took so long to blossom! And without my own knowledge, I was so close to nature, soaking up the summer and winter sun with equal ease.

As I grew up, I got more and more engrossed in my own life – first in my higher studies and then in my job. And just like any other working woman, my daily routine got as mechanical as waking up, preparing for office, spending the whole day inside the office building surrounded by computers, and returning home in the evening. I had lost touch with nature, and more importantly, I had got completely alienated from the sun!

It is common knowledge that sunrays help to generate vitamin D in our bodies, vital for strong bones. Was there an easier way to build healthy bones than a 10 minutes stroll on a sunny afternoon? But due to my schedule, I was missing out on my share of sunshine, and I needed to consciously bring it back in my regular lifestyle. And yes, I did make an attempt to get back in touch with my old childhood friend – the sun….

  • I have made it a habit to take a short walk in the office campus after lunch (which I have either at my desk or at a food court in the office). Of course I wear sunscreen to office, so my skin is protected. Though an umbrella is advised while walking in the sun, sometimes I prefer to go without it.
  • When I am at home in the mornings, I keep my windows wide open to let the sun into my home. Sunrays are known to kill bacteria that grow in damp atmosphere, and so sunshine is essential for a clean air in our homes.
  • My weekly visits to the grocer, salon, ATM, utility bill payment centre, Bank, courier – anywhere at all – which are within walking distance, are now on foot.This gives me some time to enjoy the sun while attending to my regular chores. 
  • I have very long hair – upto 6 inches below my hips. Drying them after a wash used to be cumbersome, and so my hair dryer would always come to my rescue. But now I dry it in the sun, thus protecting my hair from the intense heat of the dryer, and at the same time feeding a slice of sun to my bones.
  • My love for lazy weekends meant that I would either perch myself in front of the TV set or slump into a siesta immediately after lunch. But now I take a few minutes after lunch to sit in my terrace or balcony, soaking up the sun while watching passers-by on the road and enjoying soothing music.
I have got so used to the sun now, that 2 consecutive days of cloud or rains make me feel dull and gloomy. The sun lifts my mood, cleanses the air around me and gives me a feeling of wellness.
Needless to say how much I agree with  John Denver’s words:
“Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy…..sunshine almost always makes me high”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.